CSMFO offers a number of live presentation courses throughout the State at local agencies.
- Introduction to Government Accounting
- The Introduction to Government Accounting course welcomes all participants with a general interest in accounting. The course provides an overview of basic accounting concepts and terminology. Important topics that are unique to governmental accounting are highlighted throughout the course. Participants with all levels of experience are welcome.
- Intermediate Governmental Accounting
- The Intermediate Governmental Accounting/Financial Reporting course is designed for accountants that are new to the government sector. The course focuses on the year-end close and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report processes. Participants with new or expanding responsibilities for government accounting and financial reporting are encouraged to attend.
- Investment Accounting
- The Investment Accounting course is offered only once each year. This informative session provides valuable and in-depth investment accounting training. The facilitators cover the major concepts that impact how governments account for investments using real-world examples.
- Power of Fiscal Policies & Long Term Financial Planning
- This unique course combines two critical subjects over two half-day seminars. The Power of Fiscal Policies session outlines each of the key areas that fiscal policies should cover and why. The course describes how to gain approval and how to perform ongoing review of the fiscal policies. Sample policies are provided as well as tips on how to get started.
The Long-Term Financial Planning seminar provides insight on how your agency can better navigate the fiscal challenges ahead. The course provides practical tips on how to prepare meaningful forecasts in light of uncertainty about economic and fiscal trends. The session will provide examples of how to prepare long-term financial plans and recommendations for how to present long-term financial plans to policy makers.
- Fundamentals of Tax Revenues (Revenue Fundamentals I)
- The Fundamentals of Tax Revenues course provides an overview of the major municipal tax revenues. The session focuses on the largest revenue sources, Property Tax, Sales and Use Tax, and also covers local option taxes such as Business License Tax, Utility Users Tax, Transient Occupancy Tax and Property Transfer Tax. Participants will gain a better understanding of the state and local fiscal relationship and the legislation that most impact local agencies. The course includes exercises that will assist participants in forecasting these important revenues.
- Fundamentals of Fees, Rates, Charges, and Land-Based Financing Tools (Revenue Fundamentals II)
- The Fundamentals of Fees, Rates, Charges, and Land-Based Financing tools course provides an overview and discussion of critical municipal revenue sources. The course covers utility rates, general government fees, Community Facilities Districts, benefit assessments, impact fees, and other economic development tools. This interactive course includes exercises that help participants understand the complexity of each of these revenue sources.
- Developing Successful Supervisory Skills
- The Developing Successful Supervisory Skills course presents the key steps required to develop high-performance teams. Participants receive actionable advice for problem-solving challenging supervisory situations. The course presents valuable techniques for motivating team members, providing constructive feedback, and navigating conflict.
- Weekend Training
- Weekend Training is an intensive two and a half day program that covers a broad range of municipal finance content. The course provides members with education, professional development, and skills necessary to carry out a high level of professionalism in the field of municipal finance. Generally held in November, Weekend Training is one of the most affordable programs available. Full registration includes two nights lodging, meals, seminar materials and up to 20 hours of professional educational training. Attendance is limited to 40, which enables attendees to network with members and develop long lasting relationships.
Please click on the link below to review and sign up for upcoming events (link titled “upcoming events” remains).
Interested in being a host agency?
Please forward email to Career Development Chair – email@example.com