CSMFO is California’s premier statewide association for finance professionals. This includes employees and elected or appointed officials who are involved in government finance for cities, special districts and counties in California. Membership also includes commercial finance professionals, such as brokers, bankers, auditors, and specialized financial consultants. The benefits of networking with government finance professionals and commercial associates from cities, special districts and counties across the State of California are numerous.
Over a thousand members strong, we promote excellence in financial management through innovation, continuing education and the professional development of our members. CSMFO members are deeply involved in the key issues facing cities, special districts and counties today. We value honesty and integrity, and strive to adhere to the highest ethical standards.
- Regular regional meetings (geographical areas are referred to as Chapters)
- An annual statewide seminar
- Free webinars and low-cost in-person training
- A directory of all members
- A special members’ only website and listserve
- Coaching program
- CSMFO Conference Magazine, the digital annual designed especially for public finance personnel and the CSMFO Annual Conference
- CSMFO News
CSMFO Municipal Member Dues Structure for 2023
The CSMFO Board of Directors recently approved a change in dues structure for municipal members for 2023, expanding from a single municipal classification to two. The Management category includes any municipal finance officer with management or supervisory responsibilities and will have a new annual rate of $125, up from the standard $110. The Professional category includes all other municipal finance staff, or those without management or supervisory responsibilities, at a significantly reduced annual membership rate of $50. There will no longer be a discount for the fourth or more member from the same agency.
For renewing municipal members, CSMFO will be categorizing members into one of these two new membership categories based on job titles in the membership database at the time of 2023 membership renewal. New members will elect the category that best fits at the time of registration.
The primary intent of this change is to remove barriers to participation for any individual who wants to grow professionally through a better understanding of California finance. With an accessible rate, Professional staff can more easily join CSMFO and partake of the great training, resources, and networks available to members. Membership renewals for 2023 will be sent out on or about November 1st for next year.
NEW MUNICIPAL MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES
- Management (M) – $125
The management category is for those who have municipal management and supervisory roles. There should be at least one management membership for each agency. The manager category applies to municipal finance officers who are directors, managers, supervisors or others with responsibility and oversight of direct reporting staff.
- Professional (P) – $50
The professional category is for non-management/supervising positions. This category is likely to include Accountants, Analysts, Specialists, Technicians, and other non-management positions without supervisory authority.
Previous CSMFO Membership Dues Structure
Types of CSMFO membership:
- Municipal ($110): This classification shall be open to all public employees and elected or appointed officials having responsibility for, oversight of, or engaged in, the function of government finance in any city, county, or special district in the State of California. Municipal members that cease to be employed, for whatever reason, may continue as a municipal member through the end of the membership year or until they are once again employed under the municipal membership categorization, whichever comes first. If a municipal member accepts employment outside the municipal eligibility, the member’s categorization shall change effective with their first date of new employment, and all rights and privileges of the new classification shall immediate take effect.
- Commercial Associate ($220): This classification shall be open to persons not currently employed by a governmental agency whose livelihood derives principally from activities of a commercial or professional nature directly related to government finance. The board of directors may adopt other categories within the Commercial member classification. Commercial members that cease to be employed, for whatever reason, may continue as a commercial member through the end of the membership year or until they are once again employed under the commercial membership categorization, whichever comes first. If a commercial member accepts employment outside the commercial eligibility, the member’s categorization shall change effective with their first date of new employment, and all rights and privileges of the new classification shall immediate take effect.
- Other Government ($50): Open to government employees in the financial field who do not presently qualify for Municipal or Commercial membership but who are interested in the principles and practices of government finance. This may include finance professionals from state agencies, school districts, universities and representatives from other finance professional organizations such as GFOA.
- Retired: Open to former municipal members who have retired from public service.
- Student / Professor (Free): Open to persons presently enrolled in or teaching finance, accounting or public administration studies.
- Honorary: Past presidents who are retired may be granted honorary status.
- Complimentary: Open to those persons as determined by the board of directors.
CSMFO provides the opportunity for government finance professionals from cities, special districts and counties to become municipal members and become actively involved within the organization at all levels. If you are not currently a CSFMO member, please take this opportunity to join this premier statewide professional association by filling out the application provided below.
Dues will be payable annually on a calendar year basis, and will be due January 1 of each year. Members who permit their dues to remain unpaid on March 1 shall automatically be suspended from membership until all dues are paid.